The Ucwalmicw Centre Society (UCS) was incorporated in 1991; the construction of the building was completed in 1994. The beautiful stained glass windows in the building represent the families of the community and were designed by family members.
The main purpose of the Society is to develop, manage and maintain an educational and cultural centre for the use of the membership, people in the Lillooet community and surrounding area.
The purposes and objectives include:
- To promote understanding and appreciation of traditional St’át’imc spiritual values.
- To encourage fellowship and understanding between persons of all religious faiths and spiritual beliefs.
- To provide opportunities for spiritual and religious development in the community.
- To provide family support through counseling, education and charitable activities.
- To lease or rent lands and building for the purpose of achieving the objectives of the Society.
- To receive, acquire and hold gifts, donations, grants and legacies given to the Society.
- To solicit and raise money to fund the objectives of the society.
- To do all such things as are necessary to achieve the objectives of the Society.
Some past projects that the Centre has offered include the St’át’imc Cultural Olympics that allowed a showcase of aboriginal artists. A summer day camp programs for children had a theatre component and the children put on a play based on traditional stories and a fashion show. Funding received from Canada Council of Arts supported a four – day event for Festival of Arts. This event had a play, puppet show, dancing, drumming, and a venue to display local talent and artists. Programs offered at the Centre engaged Elders and youth in sharing indigenous knowledge through storytelling, traditional and contemporary food gathering and preservation, harvesting and preserving Western and St’át’imc plants. Other projects include language projects and immersion camps, youth leadership, children’s day camp, organic gardening, roots gathering, life skills and cultural awareness training.
Contact information is email@example.com or (250) 256 – 0101.